Monday, April 27, 2009

Early Morning Stroll Around Cairnwood


Backlit azalea in the early morning light of my Woodland Garden

Yesterday morning I got up and took my camera out into the gardens to see what I could find. I love early mornings in spring...they hold so much promise. Promise for the day, and promise for the gardening season. This day was particularly beautiful, even though it turned into a hot, summer-like day (90 degrees F here in Central Pennsylvania is pretty darned warm for April!)

The spinach seeds I sowed on April 13 are sending up some nice little green leaves, as are the Thomas Laxton peas I pre-sprouted and planted on April 7. Interestingly, the Thomas Laxton peas are really not much further along than the Alaska peas which I soaked for a few hours, then planted on April 13. Perhaps I planted the Thomas Laxtons just a wee bit too early?


Spinach Seedlings--gotta love that stony Pennsylvania soil!

My Woodland Garden is coming alive...the azaleas are beginning to bloom and the rhododendrons are about to pop open. The "Pheasant's Eye" daffodils, Narcissus poeticus, are blooming...they're one of my favorite daffodils and I have fond childhood memories of picking bouquets of these for my mom.



Pheasant's Eye Daffodil (Narcissus poeticus), gazing at the sky




Pheasant's Eye Daffodil looking all perky by the bench in my Woodland Garden


My Ostrich Ferns (Matteuccia pensylvanica) are unfurling, though I see a few spots where there should be fern fronds poking up, and there are none. I'm hoping they're just slow and won't be no-shows.


Osterich Fern (Matteuccia pensylvanica)

I discovered that the Bleeding Heart (Dicentra) in my Secret Garden has burst into bloom, yet the Bleeding Heart just off our patio is several days away from blooming.


Bleeding Heart (Dicentra)


I've placed my trays of seedlings outside on the picnic table since it's been so warm and I really don't have room in our house for seedlings (where's my greenhouse?!). They seem to be coming along well, though I'll soon need to pinch out the extra seedlings that have come up in the peat pellets.

Tomato seedlings enjoying the early morning sun

The 3 Concord and 4 Niagara grapevines that I got last week from the Conservation District have been potted up until I can get the vineyard ready for them. Hope they don't mind their tight, temporary quarters!

Grapevines waiting to be planted

Later in the day the weather was so nice that I HAD to take my little peeps out to enjoy the weather! They loved their first venture into the great outdoors! I put them in a dog crate since we don't have a "chicken tractor" or suitable outdoor holdings for them just yet. They had a blast scratching, pecking, catching bugs and eating violets. I see many more of these outings in the future....

They're right! The grass IS greener on the other side!

No comments:

Post a Comment