Monday, May 10, 2010

Ding Dong

Welsummer rooster, Ding Dong

Ding Dong the Wicked Rooster's Dead (to be sung to the tune of Ding Dong The Wicked Witch Is Dead from the "Wizard of Oz.")

Sad but true. Ding Dong was perhaps the most gorgeous, beautiful Welsummer rooster you've ever laid eyes on, but he was mean! He just turned a year old in April, and up until about 3 or 4 months ago he was just fine. But one day he decided to take on the world and attack any living thing that wasn't a chicken, yours truly included.

Last month Ding Dong sent me packin' to the doctor's office with a nasty infected puncture wound on my left knee. Roosters have some pretty impressive "spurs" on their legs, and believe me, they know how to use them! He nailed my knee with a spur on a Saturday morning, and by nightfall I was on crutches and in serious pain. That's when I knew Ding Dong had to go. Next I could just imagine him putting someone's eye out, or worse.

I simply cannot kill things, unless it's sucking my blood, like a mosquito or a tick. I catch spiders and bees that are inside the house and release them outside. So either Hubby Dean had to dispatch Ding Dong, or I'd advertise him on Freecycle. A couple days ago Dean did the deed, and now Ding Dong is packaged up and in the fridge...dog food. (I feed the dogs the Raw Meaty Bones diet, which includes raw chicken...more on that in another post).

This whole business grosses me out. I guess that's part of the reason why I eat a vegetarian diet. Even though Ding Dong was a nasty, mean rooster, I'd raised him from a tiny peep and really, truly hated to see him go.

I must admit though, that it's a joy to be able to walk into the chicken yard unarmed (sans rooster beatin' stick) and not have to worry about being ambushed. My other two roosters, Loki and Livingston (Ameraucana boys) are as sweet as pie and wouldn't even consider hurting me. In fact, when Ding Dong would be attacking me, Livingston would always come running to my rescue and chase Ding Dong away. Smart boy...he knows how to stay out of the freezer!

No comments:

Post a Comment