Sunday, August 7, 2011

Munch!

Climbing Cécile Brunner rose--post munch
Sometimes gardening can be very frustrating, and I often find myself pining for The Garden of Eden...what must that have been like before humans screwed it up?  I often imagine that Heaven must be a garden of Eden sort of place...anyway....

Yesterday I was admiring a perfectly formed bud on my climbing Cécile Brunner rose.  It was about to burst open, and since I just got this rose I'd never seen its blooms before and was anxious to see the rose unfurled.  Today when I spied the rose....horrors!  Something has munched it!  See above photo.  The rose smells divine, but it looks like it's been through a war zone.  Sigh...

Green tomato "Early Girl"---post munch

 Another "Early Girl" tomato---post munch

Then I walked out to check on my chickens.  I sneak a peak at the tomatoes I have growing from hanging pots every time I go out there since they're right on the way.  Yesterday, these tomatoes were perfect green dudes waiting to ripen.  Today....something's munched them!  See above photos.  Sigh....

What flattened my corn?!

And yesterday morning my corn was looking fine and dandy.  Then we got a little rain and a slight breeze.  I looked across my corn patch and much to my horror....where'd it go?!  Upon closer inspection it appears to have been flattened by either the breeze or water weight from the rain.  See above photo.  It doesn't seem to have been uprooted, but rather just bent over in some places.  Some stalks are actually snapped right off mid-way up or near the top.  I know planting the seeds at the wrong depth can make corn fall over, as can various grubs that attack the root, but this stuff seems bent.  I'm hoping I can prop it up, perhaps...Sigh....

Well, at least we got some rain!

No comments:

Post a Comment