Sunday, September 12, 2010

One Sunday in September...

Today was a misty, cool, Sunday. I love days like this; they remind me of Ireland, but the day wasn't so moist that I couldn't get outside and enjoy it. Rather than write a bunch, here are some photos taken from my stroll around our property today.



I planted sunflowers at the edge of our property where they'd get plenty of sun. Despite the drought this year, they're doing pretty good.




Squeak follows me everywhere. Here, he's near the hedgerow at the edge of our property near where I've planted the sunflowers. He's a most excellent "helper".

My garden was somewhat pathetic this year due to the fact that I had a bunch of young chickens running wild most of the summer. They devoured everything. Here is a young kale volunteer that I managed to cover with a sheer curtain; these kale volunteers have come up 2 years in a row!


Ah, this is suppose to be a "Peter Pepper", which is suppose to look strikingly like its namesake. I got the seeds from a Seed Saver's Exchange member, but obviously it crossed with something else....it's nice and hot though.


Mail call! Our mailbox....send me a letter! Inside the blue newspaper box lurks an old bird's nest...


My red raspberries appear to be about to produce a bumper crop of autumn raspberries.


Future red raspberry


Checking for eggs, I lifted the nesting box lid and found FIVE hens occupying the 3 boxes.


I cleaned out the chicken coop yesterday and now have a full /overflowing compost bin in the garden...Golden Sexlink looks on in the background.


A "Beautyberry" bush, (Callicarpa Dichotoma) is growing up between cracks in our patio (!!!) I need to transplant it somewhere, or start more from seed. I love the purple berries that it produces.

Callicarpa Dichotoma aka "Beautyberry Bush"

1 comment:

  1. Thank you for your comment on my blog. You have 4 blogs, this is truly amazing. Your pictures are absolutely beautiful. You have a gift.

    ReplyDelete